Friday, August 22, 2014

Bon Appetit (excuse my French!)


Since I feel that a large part of any trip abroad is inevitably centered on food, it seemed appropriate to spend a brief amount of time on it. For starters, American restaurant chains or brands that we saw in Japan: Dr. Pepper in one vending machine (tasted exquisite!), Mountain Dew in one vending machine (tasted awful), Coca Cola in basically every large vending machine and restaurant, Subway in one major shopping area, KFC at two transportation stations, at least one McDonald’s (makudonarudo!) in every major urban area (usually near the largest local transit station), and probably 2 Starbucks on average under circumstances comparable to McDonald’s. Many of the American fast food chains had a smaller, ‘Japanese’ version of the menu with items infused with more local flavors, such as teriyaki hamburgers and melon cream sodas at McDonald’s (you’ll have to ask Ron what the teriyaki experience was like), and green tea chocolate frappuccinos at Starbucks. All of the McDonald’s we saw had a very small ground floor for ordering, and anywhere from 1-3 additional floors meant solely as dining areas.
As far as Japanese restaurant chains, there were a few that I noticed, which I think are only found in Japan (I could be wrong about that – I didn’t look into them further). Asahi seems to be the dominant beverage company (like Coca Cola everywhere else). Although I’d always associated it with beer in the States, they also produce a variety of coffee and tea drinks, as well as soda. Most of the vending machines I saw were of the Asahi variety. Vie de France is a French pastry, self-serve/cafeteria style chain, serving cheese and meat buns, croissants, and a wide variety of other flaky pastries that were presumably not rice-based like many Japanese sweets. Many train stations had a Manneken, a Belgian waffle franchise with some pretty delicious waffles, hot or cold. Mr. Donut could also be found at most major stations/shopping areas – a seemingly typical doughnut shop save for two things: the doughnuts were often different in density/texture from American doughnuts, and some flavors were typical Japanese – namely green tea chocolate (I did not get to try this one – they didn’t have it at the location I went to).
Beyond these chains that I noted pretty frequently, all of the other restaurants were pretty clearly locally owned, small joints akin to diners or dives in the States. Many could seat no more than 20 or so people at a time (especially in really crowded shopping areas), making small tour groups much more ideal for mealtime. Ramen-only shops were probably the most common type of specialty restaurant I noticed. I’m sure there were other common types that I didn’t take note of, but the majority of the others I saw offered a small variety of what I assume are typical Japanese cuisine, including udon, ramen, and soba dishes, as well as fried (tempura) ones. An impressive assortment of crustaceans, fish, and octopus (I’d say mollusks, but I didn’t see much besides octopus) was offered at most establishments, which was a bit unfortunate for a few of my friends and myself, since we aren’t particular fans of seafood. Of the typical livestock animals, eggs were probably the most commonly available protein, followed by pork. Chicken was a bit scarce, and usually a mixture of white and dark meat (again, a problem for me, as I only like white meat). Non-Kobe beef was available at some places, though the cuts were usually more fatty and sinewy than I would eat. Don’t let this discourage you on your tasting adventures though, should you ever visit – I just happen to be an extraordinarily picky eater!
Nonetheless, I did try several new dishes, including okonomiyaki, tako (octopus), and ikura (salmon roe sushi). Several of the dishes were pretty similar to ones that I’d been raised on, being from a Japanese American family – miso soup and kitsune udon were my fallback meals on this trip, available at many places for a pretty low price, as they’re considered pretty common dishes there (yay for me!). Overall, there’s nothing that I regretted trying, and many things that I would eat again at the earliest opportunity. There are also many things I don’t mind that I avoided – namely additional forms of tako and other assorted bone-in and scale-on fish dishes. Eventually, I’ll add a full album of every meal I had while in Japan, including airplane flights!
One final note – it is traditional to say ‘itadakimasu’ before meals, and ‘gochisou-sama deshita’ after meals (see my expectations/final impressions post for more on this!). These phrases are just the polite way of starting and ending a meal, if you can remember to say them!

No comments:

Post a Comment