Monday, August 11, 2014

Dreams and Wishes Fullfilled


These last two days were filled with even more wonderment and amazement. These once and a life time experiences cannot be described in words and I am truly one of the luckiest people on the world right now...

Yesterday, August 10th, we got to experience our first Japanese TYPHOON. Winds were literally running 100 miles per hour and devastating everything in site. Fortunately we were lucky enough to actually go outside and feel their power without risk of injury. The sheer force of the wind was enough to push me, a 200 lb stocky Filipino, backward- a task not so easily done. Though the experience was filled with laughs and jokes, it makes you appreciate the luxury of predictable weather we are blessed with in Arizona.

But when the winds subsided, dreams started to come true.


KOBE BEEF.

THIS. IS. EVERYTHING.
I have never had such a wondrous thing grace my taste buds with as much magic (majikuu in japanese) as this meat has-- AND FOR ONLY 30 American dollars...


Once the storm subsided, we traveled back to Sannomiya for sight seeing and as fate desired, we stopped into the restaurant that will have forever changed my life for the better.. We were immediately seated upon entering the building-- a marvel on its own, as this place is known for it's long wait times. There we were greeted by the gracious staff, the chefs walked in, and the magic began... The experience after that moment almost seems like a blur of euphoria, but I'll try my best to describe it.... The beef came in by way of plate on a bed of unknown Japanese leaves- to be honest I don't even remember a person handling the plate, but rather it floating into the room... The beef hits the steel grill. I black out...


I awaken to find the chef finishing the ritual and migrating the meat into its riotous home-- my plate, and soon my mouth..  As the chef sliced the ever so supple meat, my heart started to beat faster and faster. Never have I seen meat slice so effortlessly- a sight that may be described as identical to slicing margarine at room temperature with a Japanese forged katana. My mouth began to salivate as I wiped the tears of joy from my eyes...



The steak was cooked medium rare, spiced with pristine Kobe style seasonings, served with caramelized bean sprouts, various unknown sauces, and freshly fried garlic potato chips. There are no words to describe what that beef did to my mouth, but I have forever been changed. I have been told that one's imagination can do much more than words can describe, so I'll leave it to you to imagine.

Though the rest of the day was just as eventful- it was a celebration of the birth of our good friend Jennifer. So I'll leave that much for her.


As for today, August 11, more wishes came true- an experience of Japanese Medicine, SUSHI, a castle, and the pokemon center.

The day began promptly at 8:45 AM. We headed back over to the Kobe University for a lecture on common sayings, greetings, and numbers of the Japanese language, and another lecture on Kampo- Traditional Chinese herbal medicine. Though both lectures were fascinating, my learning was most stimulated by our visit to an actual Kampo Pharmacy in Osaka immediately following the lectures.

HOWEVER. On the way, we decided to cross another thing off the bucket list- sushi. ROTATION SUSHI.... ROTATION SUSHI IN JAPAN.


Again, it was indescribable. It is definitely something anybody visiting Japan needs to try. The service is quick and easy and the taste is just insurmountinly better than anything America has to offer. The texture wasn't dull and chewy like American sushi, but rather melt-in-your mouth awesome. This is something that we will definitely repeat if time permits.



Once we finished the miracle of Japanese sushi, we completed our trek to the Kampo Pharmacy. Here are just some things I learned:
1) No electronic records- though some Kampo pharmacies have them, this one definitely did not; rather, a wall filled with hard copy manilla folders filled with old prescriptions and patient information.


2) No HIPPA- Though Kampo pharmacies have rules they comply with, they are not as restricted to privacy laws as we are in the U.S. They are free to relinquish and share information without fear of government action. (Though I would imagine they would never do)

3) Though eastern medicines can be prescribed for many multiple indications, they can still have drug to drug interactions- something that must be looked for.

4) Western medicine is based on theoretics and hard clinical data. Eastern medicine is based on overall experiences and wellness.

5) No outdates! It could be that I don't know how to read Japanese, but I really don't think I saw an expiration date on any bottle containing Kampo.



Now, I did learn more, but I'm sure the other students will talk about this in much more detail..

Next up the CASTLE! It was a long journey to the top of the Osaka castle (Osaka-jo), but well deserved.. The view from above was a sight to be seen.




The castle was filled with so much history that was fascinating to enjoy. I got to see an actual Samurai sword and armor! However, no pictures could be taken of them. From what I understand, the king of the castle wanted that nothing ever be removed. I guess to them a picture is considered removing the items from the castle...

The Pokemon center.... I love pokemon. I have since I was in the 3rd grade. This was definitely another wish come true. In the famous anime hit series: Pokemon, whenever a pokemon is injured, they take them to pokemon centers. In a way, pokemon centers are hospitals for pokemon. Therefore, our journey there today was completely relevant. And I LOVED it..





What a great two days. This is just.. Amazing..

Good Night.

Konbanwa.

-Ron







1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you made the most of an incredible experience! Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete