Friday, August 22, 2014

The Kobe Beef Kickoff

Since the epicenter of our trip was Kobe, naturally we had to try the Kobe beef at least once. Although it is also available in other areas of the country (and sparingly in the States – see this article from Forbes), it really didn’t seem right to try my first morsel of Kobe beef in any city other than Kobe. One of our beloved KGU students, Mai, took us to a local joint that featured a lunch special for a mere $30. I don’t know much about the pricing or quality of this type of meat, but $30 for a lunch combo that included rice, tsukemono (pickled vegetables), miso soup, salad, grilled vegetables, and an after-meal beverage of juice or coffee, seemed like a pretty sweet deal to me. As for the quality of the meat, the fat looked to be pretty evenly and well distributed throughout the cut – it had this beautiful, marbleized appearance – and cut like butter under the chef’s knife. From what little I know about Kobe beef, these are pretty standard requirements for a quality piece.
The meat and vegetables were cooked on a grill in the center of our table (kind of teppanyaki style) – the sound of them sizzling was enough to make my mouth water. The appetizers were pretty great, the company even better, but honestly, that was where the specialness of the experience ended. I have to admit, I was generally unimpressed by the meat itself. I won’t deny that it was a unique cut unlike any I’d ever had, with a taste all its own. That was where the taste party ended though. It wasn’t tender like I was expecting, the taste was not one that I would expect (or like really) from beef, and aside from the natural taste of the meat, there was no strong flavor to it. Now, don’t get me wrong – several of my companions were in food heaven, complete with audible sounds of food-eating ecstasy. I, however, couldn’t bring myself to eat more than half of my share, and I may have even eaten a bite or two with my breath held, so as to avoid the taste. Sara finished my meat for me, and in general, by the end of the meal, a good, well-cooked filet mignon was (and still is) my preferred and favorite cut of beef. Nonetheless, I enjoyed the experience, and was happy for the opportunity to try this infamous delicacy. Perhaps, had I splurged on a $100 piece, my experience may have been different? It’s hard to say how much the cost and particular establishment might influence the flavor and quality of the meat. Still, I tried it, and I would probably try it again if given the chance. Kobe beef burgers sound like a more promising prospect to me for the next go round.  

No comments:

Post a Comment