Friday, August 22, 2014

Japan Through My Eyes

Or should I say lens

Japan is a beautiful city and even though we were only there for 10 days, I feel like we were able to experience a lot of Japan. This was my first trip going over seas and was glad I was able to experience it with other students from the College of Pharmacy.
 
Now let me start with the campus. Kobe Gakuin University is a very nice campus. It has a breathtaking view overlooking the ocean and the city of Kobe.
 
The welcome lunch on our first day in Japan where we met the Japanese students, professors and our pen pals.
 
Doing karaoke
One of the best opportunities during this trip was being able to learn and experience pharmacy in Japan and to see how different it can be from pharmacy in America. My favorite lecture and site visit was the kampo pharmacy. It is Chinese herbal medicine. I find this field very interesting because it is a subject that we do not spend much time on in school.
 




 
Getting to experience all the castles, temples and shrines.
Learned about the purification fountains at the shrines and temples
It is amazing the amount of work and detail that was put into the buildings and statues
Japan was a place that I was able to try many foods for the first time.


Although I've had steak before there was just something different about Kobe beef. This was one of the best steak I have ever had. It just seemed to melt in your mouth, almost as if it didn't need to be chewed. Overall the Kobe beef and ramen were my favorite dishes in Japan.

 
Pictures from the fish market

Okonomiyaki (Japanese Pizza)
Another amazing dish that I have never heard of before I went to Japan


 My first time having squid legs

Feeding the deer in Nara.


And attempting to do Dragon Ball Z freeze photography



and having some fun with fireworks

 
The sayonara party when our time in Japan came to an end




All of these experiences are what made my journey in Japan incredible. I went to a new country, tried some new and wonderful food. Learned about pharmacy in another country and how different it can be from pharmacy in America, but most of all made some new friends that made the trip memorable and something that I will never forget.

-Tyler
 


No comments:

Post a Comment