Friday, August 22, 2014

The (few) things we missed


Overall, I have no true regrets about the trip. I think we were able to see and visit many of the most sightseeing worthy places in the country, despite being there for such a short amount of time. We hit all of the places we agreed upon before leaving, and then some, thanks to the efforts of our wonderful hosts and Dr. Katz. Really, I think there are only 2 ‘classic’ Japanese experiences that I missed out on, and I can’t really say I’m sorry that I did: an onsen and squat toilets. Our trip to the former was canceled due to the typhoon – for those of you who don’t know, onsen are public baths that have been built around natural hot springs throughout the country. People of all ages and from all areas visit these facilities for a brief period of relief and relaxation. The catch? Customs dictate that participants enter the baths in their birthday suits! No clothing allowed, save for small hand towels, which are to be placed on the head while in the water. Thankfully (in my opinion/for my comfort), the majority of the baths are segregated by gender. Given the general taboo against public nudity in the States, I definitely think combining total nudity with mixed gender bathing would probably be a step too far for many visitors. Although the group discussed the onsen visit as a whole and in small groups, and those of us who agreed to go were pretty well onboard and committed to being non-judgmental about the affair, I’m not sorry that the trip got canceled. However, a part of me wonders if visiting an onsen would have been traumatizing or liberating. Having always wrestled with self-doubt and low self-esteem, the idea of bathing naked in front of strangers was extremely intimidating – the idea of bathing naked in front of my classmates and future colleagues even more so. Yet, I can’t help but feel that going through such an experience would have enabled me to finally shed all of my insecurities about my body, in that place where the human body is welcomed in its natural, unashamed form.
As for the squat toilets, I intentionally avoided public restrooms that had them. Squatting in general has been difficult for me since I injured my ankle in high school. Moreover, I didn’t think the extreme vulnerability and helplessness I would feel squatting over a hole in the ground (I already feel vulnerable sitting on a toilet in general) was worth the bragging rights I’d gain from the experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment