Saturday, August 9, 2014

First Day in Japan!


I'm finally traveling across the world, something I've always wanted to do! Better yet, it's a once in a lifetime opportunity to experience another country's healthcare system from their perspective.This whole trip will be full of new experiences, expected and not expected.

For example, taking an eight hour flight that descends into windy, rainy weather will most likely make you nauseous. I also learned that flip flops are not the best shoe choice for traveling with luggage in rain (rest in peace, flip flops).

Common sense may be a bit lacking in a foreign country, but I do feel confident about the complicated medical stuff, because at least most of it is universal.



And, of course, that comes with an exception. Americans don't use herbal medicine as commonly as Japan, or other Asian countries. Being an avid gardener, I am falling in love with all of these herbal medicine practices. It makes sense, I think, to use the natural chemistry built around you. Plants have been "chemical labs" for thousands of years and have all kinds of amazing medicinal properties- why not use them? Or discover new therapies with them?
 

We were also able to see some cool experiments that the students performed for us. I mean, who doesn't love squishy things? 


After experiments, we were led into a room that was decorated entirely for our arrival and lunch! The welcome was amazing, I really appreciated it. We were able to mingle with our pen pals and start off an instant friendship with the Japanese students and professors.

Following that, any young adult would prefer to shop, so we did just that! We trekked on a tram and went to downtown. I can honestly say that I'm SO happy the Japanese students were with us while we were out shopping. I know almost no Japanese, and the little Korean I know won't help me anymore than English. Navigating and buying would be almost impossible without them. Between shopping, we ate ramen and got ice cream and taiyaki!


Random discoveries of the first day:
- You don't have to go a block without bad coffee or tea. It is everywhere. My addiction is satisfied.
- Phone charms are popular here, which helps me blend in (until I speak English)
- Say toilet when you need to go to the bathroom. They understand that better than "bathroom" or "restroom".
- Some crossovers of cultures I noticed: similar to Korea, you use both hands when accepting items and public trash cans are not common.
- I will never eat ramen at home again (lie) because it is TOO good here. Too good. I think I've made a terrible mistake ruining my taste buds for the better, or maybe I need to just move here.

2 comments:

  1. Talk to my wife, Momi. She can tell you how to make good ramen at home (yes, I'm spoiled). You can but pretty good ramen at the supermarket near the hotel if you want to bring some home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be nice!! I definitely could use some tips. I'll try that! :)

    ReplyDelete