Thursday, August 21, 2014

Lifetime Memories

This was my first time going to a foreign country where I barely knew the language. I was pretty excited to spend time with my friends on my last summer vacation and learn about the Japanese culture, but I’ve done more by making lifetime memories and creating new connections.

From the first night we arrived in Japan to the last hours before leaving back home, we had Sho sensei and Kobe Gakuin University students especially Yui and Mai helping us. I could not believe how generous they were with their time and gifts. Even Osaka University students and senseis showed their kindness by guiding us on a fun day and night in Osaka.




It was great to see old castles, shrines, and famous sites that back to ancient times – probably something that you can’t see in America. But I enjoyed spending time with the Japanese students. There were many times where we didn’t have clear communication, but we shared bits and pieces of our own stories and somehow found common ground. Even though we grew up with different backgrounds, cultural, language differences, we were able to meet due to our common passion to become a healthcare profession. I think it’s incredible how a short time of 10 days or less that people can connect – I hope that I get to meet some of the students very soon or see them when we become pharmacists. J


I also had a peek of what pharmacy school was like in Japan and compared to the US, it seemed very hands on. One interesting topic I learned was about Kampo pharmacy (Japanese herbal medicine). It was fascinating to see how herbal drinks were made and their ingredient contents. When I was little, I used to dislike the smell from these types of medicine – but knowing what and why they are used makes them smell and taste a bit sweeter.


If I had the opportunity to travel back to Japan, I would go in a heartbeat. Or better yet, if I could travel to another foreign country – I would go so that I could become more open minded and make lasting connections.


-Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment